Choosing the right Nursery for your little ones
The inaugural day your child goes to nursery is the first milestone in their education. For some children it can be an exciting journey, the prospect of which leaves them totally unfazed. For others, it can be a daunting and distressing. For a parent, it can be a time of adjustment and reflection on the journey ahead.
It’s worth thinking about all the options you have beyond the local nursery school, but what’s important is that your children are able to flourish and thrive wherever they are.
Many parents start with a Google search for nurseries near to home or work, depending on logistical needs when their babies are months or even weeks old, and others will have a shortlist of recommendations from family and friends.
2. Visiting Nurseries
Once you’ve done the background checks, arrange a visit to the nurseries on your shortlist. Read the Ofsted reports and ask any questions you have.
- What resources and equipment do you have to support children’s learning?
- How are activities planned and organised to meet the Early Years Foundation Stage?
- How many children do you have attending- do they provide meals if so what are they?
- What sort of activities do the children do- Do they have extra curriculum activities for all? For example: cooking clubs, science and art?
- How is the average day/session organised?
- How do staff manage bad behaviour?
- What qualifications and experience do the staff have?
- How long have you been operating?
- Do you have outdoor and indoor areas for children to play and learn?
- Do children have a rest during the day if so where ?
- What time do sessions start and finish and prices ?
Following a visit to the nursery do you trust it to look after your child? Did you feel it was the right place for your child and you all as a family? Will it fit into your work/home life routine? It’s a big decision so if you need to go back to the Nursery for a second visit then do, take a family member or a friend for a second opinion.
Thank you to Chestnut Nursery Schools for writing this guest blog for us. Chestnut currently have 6 nurseries in Norfolk and further information can be found here on their website. We are pleased that they will be joining us at The Norfolk Bump & Beyond Baby and Toddler Fair 2020!